Whether leader or follower, we are all in the position of having change thrust upon us. Vistage Speaker, Mike Scott, responded to my March 19th blog (Is Resistance The Problem?), with the questions I asked, turned inward. Thank you Mike for this wonderful reminder of the responsibility we each have to notice our own resistance.
HOW DO I OPERATE?
I justify my resistance when:
1) I resist when I don’t “get it.”
2) I think I know more than I do therefore I don’t actively listen. Then I resist.
3) I think I heard all you said when I didn’t. Then I resist.
4) I think I know what you’re going to say so I stop listening. Then I resist.
5) I mentally criticize what you’re saying and how you’re saying it. Then I resist.
6) I really don’t know what you mean when I think I do. Then I resist.
I blame others when I should be asking, “What was my part in this problem that was created?”
In my workshops one of the principles is to have people repeat or paraphrase all verbal requests. I’m going to use this as the logical justification for repeating and paraphrasing. A new context.
Why Vistage Works
Elisa K. Spain