It is sometimes hard to know when to walk, run, fly or even crawl. In our fast-paced world, we strivers tend to default to running.
My sense is that different circumstances require different speeds, and most of the time, I find it is best to let things unfold at their own pace.
When I remember to pause BEFORE taking action, I ask myself these questions to determine which pace makes the most sense:
- If I am feeling a sense of urgency, what is driving it?
- What will happen if I let others drive the pace rather than me?
- If I slow down my pace, what benefits or costs will result?
- If I speed up my pace, what benefits or costs will result?
- What will happen if I choose to observe rather than act for some time?