This month’s leadership quote:
“Leadership: The art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.”
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
As human beings, we tend to choose to lead or follow. The role we choose is function of both our style and our circumstance. Even those of us who are leaders are often in a position where we choose to be followers.
As I stop and reflect on who I have chosen to follow in the past and why, this quote resonates, I did it because I wanted to. Here are my reflections on circumstances where I have chosen to follow, please share yours:
- Something the person said inspired me
- I observed what they were doing and wanted to learn
- The person encouraged me, made me feel that I could do it
- By doing it, I would benefit my business or career
- I felt there was a “greater good” to be achieved by doing it
I look forward to hearing your stories.
Enjoy the holiday season! See you here on January 5th, 2014.