Recently, one of my Vistage members asked the group this question: “What is the difference between leadership and management?”
He heard a lot of responses and the one that said it best was this one…
“Leadership is doing the right things, management is doing things right.” from management guru Warren Bennis
What does it mean to do things right? Here are my top 5:
- Leadership is setting the direction
- Leadership is inspiring when there are tailwinds and when there are headwinds
- Leadership is being intentional about your culture
- Leadership is accountability
- Leadership is making tough choices
And here are my questions for you:
- What else would you add to this list?
- If you and your leadership team did your job well as leaders and managed the agreements you have with your team, how might the role of management evolve?